I went to my surgeon a couple days ago. He believes the cornea transplant is too risky. I’m being sent to someone who specializes in fitting hard contacts that supposedly hold my “floating corneas” in place. I’m trying to be optimistic but it just seems too far-fetched. My options running out.
I currently have 10 more workdays til the end of my summer. I’m still waiting on the go-ahead to work Jackpot in August. But here’s some good news : I was hired to work an event in Reno at the beginning of October.
In speaking with other traveling dealers, it’s not a particularly good event. The Peppermill apparently over staffs and it’s barely a break even proposition. That’s okay, I’ll try anything once. The job will pay my expenses and I can look to upgrade next year…
Endless Travel Scenarios
Now that I have the ability to fly, I’m finding there is generally 2-3 events every month that I can apply for, even some with overlap and conflict. More and more I’m learning it’s time to let go of planning and just “see what happens.”
For instance, the Reno job was unexpected. I then learned there’s a major poker tournament in Lake Tahoe the 2 weeks after Reno that I could play in! So, immediately I devised a trip based on only one of the many scenarios that could develop leading up to that event. So, IF I get selected for Jackpot, and IF I don’t get selected for September at the Venetian, and IF I decide not to work Planet Hollywood in November, I might…
- Play poker a week or two in Vegas.
- Explore Utah and Twin Falls for a week or two.
- Work in Jackpot, NV mid-August.
- Play in the WPT Deepstacks in late August.
- Spend September in the Carson Valley and visit some of my favorite Northern Nevada attractions.
- Work in Reno early October.
- Try to qualify for the WSOP event in Lake Tahoe.
But there’s a lot of “IF’s.” How many different scenarios are there this fall? About a dozen! That’s why I’m learning to relax and let go of long-term planning these days…