It’s been raining for 3 days. Normally I love weather but, unfortunately, this first real test for the old rig is revealing some chinks in the armour:
I’m relieved about one thing. The once-troublesome skylight leak in the kitchen finally seems to be holding up — after having it sealed three times in Reno. It did give me a scare on the first day of this storm, however. After I’d returned from the showerhouse, I found a large wet spot on my dinette seat (underneath the skylight). But the skylight didn’t appear to be dripping. Recalling the thunder and wind while I was showering, I suspect a gust had blown standing water under the skylight — just a fluke occurrence, I hope.
But the power short-circuited that day. I’m not well-versed in the different circuits in RVs yet, but I lost power to most of the lights and all the outlets (except the one associated with the A/C). This has happened before…
My handyman in Reno had spent a day touching up a lot of the exterior. I removed a lot of the seals while he followed me with a caulking gun. He ran out of time, however. I had no caulking gun at the time and, upon inspection, it appeared everything was sealed pretty good except some taillights. After I finished washing my van that day, the power short-circuited. I had to wait an hour and a half for it to dry out, whatever “it” was, before I could reset the circuit.
The same thing happened when I came back from my shower the other day after that thunderstorm. I had to suspect the power outlet. It appeared to be sealed pretty well, but it’s on the same side of the trailer I might have sprayed the day I washed my van. I went to Home Depot, purchased a caulking gun, waited for a break in the weather, sealed it, and taped it for good measure.
I was relieved the next day when it appeared to do the trick.
Then it happened again last night. This time, however, I was able to reset the circuit after only a few minutes. Still.
I also developed a leak in one of my cabinets yesterday (other side of the trailer). It was a slow leak when I discovered it in the afternoon. It appeared to be coming out of a couple screw holes in the ceiling. I laid down a couple hand towels and then monitored the situation until I could call a repairman today. It did get more progressive throughout the evening.
This morning I put in a call to a mobile repair guy but am still waiting to hear from him. In the meantime I borrowed a ladder and discovered the seals where my handyman had installed the storage rack were definitely not sticking to the roof well. I covered the area with some trash bags to see if I could at least isolate the problem. Lovely…
A little after noon, the cabinet stopped dripping. However, this was a good 45 minutes after my “repair.” It also seemed to coincide with the rain slowing down — an indication I still haven’t isolated the problem. (Although I’m still hoping the last drip was from residual rainwater that had already gotten through the roof).
At 12:45 Mike, the RV guy said he’d swing by tomorrow for a free look-see. Whew! That’s a first. In Reno there are no free consultations. Now if I can just get the storms to cooperate until he gets here…
Next Story: Before the Storm